Cogmed Working Memory Training Program
Cogmed Working Memory Training is an evidence-based, computerized training program designed by leading neuroscientists to improve attention by effectively increasing working memory capacity over a 5 week training period.
The program is based on strong scientific research, is delivered under the supervision of a qualified Cogmed Coach, and can be done either in the convenience of the client’s home or at EnCourage. It is a computer-based training, and the program adjusts the complexity level for each exercise in real time, which maximizes training effect.
Working memory is critical for focusing, appropriately shutting out distractions, and for complex thinking. Improved working memory capacity generalizes to improved attention and impulse control. Eight out of ten users who complete the training show measureable effects.
Children: Research and clinical data show improved grades following Cogmed training. Parents and teachers also report improved social skills, taking initiative, remembering instructions, and completing assignments more independently.
Adults: By training your working memory, you will be better able to stay focused, ignore distractions, plan next steps, remember instructions, and start and finish tasks.
The complete program includes:
- Initial interview – The Cogmed Qualified Practice schedules a talk with the person interested in going through the program (or the parent if it is regarding a child). The likelihood of him/her benefiting from the training is evaluated.
- Start-up session – The Cogmed Coach plans and structures the training together with the user/family.
- Five weeks of training with weekly coach calls – The user is training at home and talks with the Cogmed Coach on a weekly basis to get advice on how to get the most out of the training, hear feedback, and increase motivation.
- Access to the Cogmed Training Web – Both the user and the Cogmed Coach review and monitor the results of each day’s training, using our online system.
- Wrap-up session – About one month after the training is completed, the Cogmed Coach summarizes the training together with the user and provides feedback data from rating scales and the Cogmed Training Web.
- Six month follow-up interview – The Cogmed Coach documents training effects again, with more time elapsed and the effects fully emerged.
- Cogmed Extension Training (12 months) – When the intensive five week training is completed and the training has been wrapped-up, the user gets access to 100 sessions of training with the software, to use over a 12 month period. Cogmed Extension Training is optional and no extra fee involved for the first 12 months.
During the five weeks of training, the user must complete 25 training sessions of 30-45 minutes each. The user is supported by a Cogmed Coach who leads the training, tracks results and gives support and motivation. The Cogmed Training Web gives users online access to their own training results and progress status.